Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pew News IQ Quiz

Take the quiz to determine the level of your savviness in US and its world politics.

I'm not an American but I took the test and it seems I did much better the average American:

This chart and the charts by gender, education, and age show your percentile rank. The percentile rank shows the percentage of the public who scored below you on the quiz. By definition, the average person scored at the 50th percentile (half of the public did worse, half did better). You scored better than 76% of the general public on the quiz.

Not too bad. I know I failed in the questions about who chairs what committee in the American political system and economics. I knew the question about the number of American dead in Iraq. But then I would pay attention to this number; being an Israeli I have a heightened awareness of the human toll in wars.

4 Comments:

At 3:07 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"By definition, the average person scored at the 50th percentile (half of the public did worse, half did better). You scored better than 91% of the general public on the quiz."

The Dow Jones Industrial failed me. Damned economic questions.

 
At 3:51 PM EDT, Blogger Unknown said...

test

 
At 5:24 PM EDT, Blogger Marcia Miner said...

My score (You scored better than 91% of the general public on the quiz.)

I missed the Serbian question. Even if I had been right it would have been a guess. I answered Kosovo instead of Bosnia.

I think 76% is not representative of what you know. Some questions were detail questions and not an indication of how savvy one is about politics, i.e. McCain's state, DNC president or house majority leader.

I am not surprised that Americans over 50, I'm 79 did better than any of the groups, but I lament that the middle age group did so poorly. I think historically they have been the best informed.

At best these tests are fun and good for the ego. If anything surprised me is that any American who would take the test would not know the Dow Jones average is in the 5 figure range. I know zip about economics, but that figure is looming up on every news report particularly since it hit 10,000.

 
At 11:02 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm disappointed, Centrist. shame on you. 76% is extremely low for an experienced blogger who is older (i presume) than the average American.

the names and committees are really the easy part. the most difficult are the Hezbollah and Hugo Chavez!

try again until you get it right (and tell us how many times you've tried).

me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home